The new FAA Aviation Instructor’s Handbook is finally available this week. A quick first pass reveals reorganization and updating with a laudable new focus on risk management (first chapter and a new chapter 10). Unfortunately, some ancient ideas from the 1970s persist – “Myth of Learning Styles” has long been discarded by educational researchers. And how “self-help guru” Ricki Linksman and her “Superlinks” got into a serious government textbook is a good question to ask – the power of internet fame and fortune?
But here it is, please take a look and see what you think. “Student” becomes “learner” and the “cockpit” becomes “flightdeck.” I suggested a change to “aviation educator” several times but this went nowhere. Is the rest eyewash or valuable? Please post your comments. Certainly some new terms and concepts for all new prospective CFIs studying for the FOI this fall (not on tests until September).
New FAA Aviation Instructor’s Handbook
- Sample Lesson Plans (PDF)
- Cover (PDF)
- Acknowledgments (PDF)
- Preface (PDF)
- Chapter 1: Risk Management and Single-Pilot Resource Management (PDF)
- Chapter 2: Human Behavior (PDF)
- Chapter 3: The Learning Process (PDF)
- Chapter 4: Effective Communication (PDF)
- Chapter 5: The Teaching Process (PDF)
- Chapter 6: Assessment (PDF)
- Chapter 7: Planning Instructional Activity (PDF)
- Chapter 8: Aviation Instructor Responsibilities and Professionalism (PDF)
- Chapter 9: Techniques of Flight Instruction (PDF)
- Chapter 10: Teaching Practical Risk Management during Flight Instruction (PDF)
- Appendix A: References (PDF)
- Appendix B: Developing a Test Item Bank (PDF)
- Appendix C: Certificates, Ratings, and Endorsements (PDF)
- Appendix D: Personal Minimums Checklist (PDF)
- Glossary (PDF)
- Index (PDF)
A few times through this will make you want to get free and FLY! I have been busy helping with a few annuals on some old Champion products (hopefully both flying again soon!) Stay safe, have fun.
Join SAFE and get great benefits (1/3 off ForeFlight!) This supports our mission of increasing aviation safety by promoting excellence in education. Our FREE SAFE Toolkit App puts required pilot endorsements and experience requirements right on your smartphone and facilitates CFI+DPE teamwork. Our CFI insurance was developed by SAFE specifically for CFIs (and is the best value in the business).